Our Lady and St Michael's, Abergavenny
Our Lady and St Michael's is a Roman Catholic church in Abergavenny, Wales. Its history is deeply intertwined with the history of Catholicism in the region.
The church's origins date back to the 15th century, when a chapel dedicated to St. Michael was built. At the time, Catholicism was the dominant religion in the region. However, Catholic worship was suppressed with the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century.
For centuries after the Reformation, no public Catholic services existed in Abergavenny. It wasn't until the Catholic Emancipation in the 19th century, which restored many civil rights to Catholics that Catholic worship began publicly reemerge in the region.
In 1850, Father John Woolett purchased a plot of land on Pen-y-Pound, Abergavenny, and built a church there. This church was dedicated to Our Lady and St. Michael. The church was expanded in 1859 by Father Woolett's successor, Father Herbert Vaughan (who later became a Cardinal).
The church underwent significant renovations and improvements in the 20th century. 1906, the church was enlarged, and in 1923, it was consecrated. The church also survived World War II without any significant damage.
Today, Our Lady and St Michael's remains a thriving church, serving the Catholic community in Abergavenny and the surrounding areas. It is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cardiff.
Go here to the official website.